Tuesday, December 15, 2020
Communications and Digital Technologies SOEs merge: https://tinyurl.com/yc8pcblv
The performance agreement with the President is legally binding and will be used for measuring the success of the department. Targets in the agreement include the following:
- Eighty percent of the population must have access to the internet by 2024.
- Policy direction in relation to 5G must be issued by December 2021.
- A reduction in the cost of data must be achieved.
- Monitoring of ICASA and ensuring that the regulator is adequately resource to license 4G spectrum.
- Repositioning of the State Information Technology Agency (SITA) to drive the use of local technologies.
- Completion of decoder rollout and switching off analogue transmitters for the Broadcasting Digital Migration project by 2021, and rearranging of spectrum radio frequencies.
- Release of special dividend by 2023.
Internet changes planned for South Africa – including lower data prices and 5G roll-out https://businesstech.co.za/news/internet/457390/internet-changes-planned-for-south-africa-including-l