By Sara Xia, April 12, 2021
Online games in China must get approval from the National Press and Publication Administration (NPPA) to be published and sold in China. See China Online Game Approval Laws. The NPPA review and approval process involves requiring that the game have a built-in addiction prevention mechanism.
In November 2019, the NPPA released a Notice on Preventing Addiction among Minors in Online Games that proposes the following measures:
1. Real name identification systems
2. Gaming time limits on minors
3. Limit spending by minors within online games
4. Explore and implement age-based rating system
5. Fulfill their responsibility to minors