Our brain function. The integrity of our genomes. Our ability to produce healthy offspring. Each of the things that we most value as individuals and as a species are being attacked by non-thermal microwave frequency EMFs.
Wi-Fi as a Very Substantial Threat to Human Health. Thanks to Mobilfunk/Omega Group for the link. https://app.box.com/s/c4thnmytwvwch2ofb3iqb007jbwn87kv
Martin L. Pall, Professor Emeritus of Biochemistry and Basic Medical Sciences, Washington State University; firstname.lastname@example.org February, 2017.
I have been asked to comment on the health and safety of Wi-Fi. I am happy to do so. Because this is a long document, I want to first outline what is in this document so you can see how it all fits together:
1. FCC and other safety guidelines are based on the assumption that microwave frequency electromagnetic fields (EMFs) can only produce thermal (heating) effects. In other words they claim that there cannot be any non-thermal effect on our bodies.
2. However there have been many thousands of studies in the scientific literature, published from the 1950’s to the present, with each of these showing the existence of one of more non-thermal EMF effects. 3. There is a consensus among independent scientist, as shown by the 2015 Appeal to the United Nations signed by 220 independent research active scientist experts in this area, that there are non-thermal health effects produced by these EMFs and that the current safety guidelines are inadequate because they do not take these non-thermal effects into consideration.
4. I have listed 11 different health effects of such non-thermal exposures, seven of which have been found to be produced by Wi-Fi exposure. When one looks at these health impacts it is clear that non-thermal EMF exposures attack: our health; our brain function; the integrity of our genomes; and our ability to produce healthy offspring.
5. Neither Wi-Fi apparatuses nor other devices putting out such EMFs are ever tested biologically for safety – not even one of them, not even once, before they are put out to irradiate the unsuspecting public. Such biological safety testing is the only way to say anything about their biological impacts. All assurances of safety that you will see in industry propaganda are based on a theory (of only thermal effects) and that theory has been shown to be false and should have discarded, in my opinion, over 40 years ago.
6. I have found what appears to be the main mechanism of action by which low-intensity EMFs produce these non-thermal effects. This mechanism which is described below, is that these EMFs activate what are called voltage-gated calcium channels. Most if not all of these effects produced (see #4 above) can be understood as being caused by the excessive calcium levels in the cell produced though this activation
7. In Table 1, I present 19 studies of health-related impacts of Wi-Fi exposure, each of which have found one or more health related impacts of Wi-Fi. 7 of these health effects have been replicated more than once in these Wi-Fi studies; these 7 have also been found to occur repeatedly following other low-intensity EMF exposures and should, therefore be considered established effect of Wi- Fi. Industry propaganda claims that Wi-Fi has no health effects should be rejected out of hand.
8.There are some supposed Wi-Fi studies that have been claimed by industry to have found no effects. These studies are each tiny studies that have no statistical power to make any such a claim and they are also studies where the effects of simulated Wi-Fi were studied not real Wi-Fi.
9. There are four different types of studies, each of which provide evidence for cumulative effects of non-thermal EMF exposures. While none of these looked at Wi-Fi, they suggest that it is likely that biological impact of Wi-Fi will get much worse over time and therefore the short term studies described in #7 may only describe a small part of the long term effects.
10. Wi-Fi and other microwave frequency EMFs may be particularly active in producing biological damage in young people. It follows from this that placing Wi-Fi in schools may be particularly problematic.
The following non-thermal effects of EMF exposures are well documented:
Widespread neuropsychiatric effects
Several types of endocrine (that is hormonal) effects
Cardiac effects impacting the electrocardiogram Note: these are often
associated with occurrences of sudden cardiac death)
However, there are many additional types of biological changes produced by non-thermal EMF exposures (reviewed 5,7) including:
Changes in calcium fluxes and calcium signaling
Several types of DNA damage to the cells of the body, including single strand and double strand DNA breaks and 8-OH-deoxyguanosine (8-OHdG) in DNA
Cancer (which is undoubtedly caused, in part, by such DNA damage
Lowered melatonin; sleep disruption
I want to emphasize that the specific health effects listed above are not the only things that are likely to be impacted by non-thermal EMF exposures, they are however the best documented such effects.
In addition to Professor’s Pall’s document,also see:
Scientists call for protection from ill-health effects of cell phones, Wi-Fi
Recent Research on WiFi Effects http://www.saferemr.com/2015/09/recent-research-on-wifi-effects.html
Invitation to the media: WE INVITE YOU TO VIEW AND AIR: THE DANGERS OF WI-FI, A 5-PART SERIES 3. Invitation to the #media: WE INVITE YOU TO VIEW AND AIR: THE DANGERS OF WI-FI, A 5-PART SERIES
Letters From Doctors on WiFi in Schools